Friday 4 March 2011

Birthday Cakes

Yesterday I found myself round the back of Waterloo Station, as you do, my visit coinciding with a few beams of sunlight that were just starting to light up the capital. This is one of my favourite areas of London- Roupell Street in fact, where the street is lined with artisan's cottages from the mid-nineteenth century. On one corner is a delightful pub, further down nearer the station is this, a branch of Konditor & Cook. I could've spent an hour just looking through the window hungrily, with perhaps a frayed balaclava on my head and my shoelaces undone. But I didn't have time. If I had foregone trying to get on the M11 before the rush hour I would have gone in and bought something special. Particularly as today is Youngest Boy's birthday. Shame on me, happy birthday to him.

4 comments:

Sue Imgrund said...

Truly scrumptious!
But they need a cake stand or two...

Hels said...

Isn't it interesting that ordinary daily cakes are tasty, but they drier, simpler, less decorated, less gooey.

Birthday cakes seemed to have developed a history of icing, cream in the middle, decoration in the form of candles and writing, and a squillion calories.

Stephen Barker said...

I know that shop, the cakes are excellent.

Ron Combo said...

I know the pub. Even better.