Tuesday 6 July 2010

Clouded Visions


To make up for my dilatory ways, I give you two landscapes. The top one is of a range of low hills to the west of the road between Ashley (no relation) and Medbourne in Leicestershire, just after crossing over the River Welland by the old single storey limestone station that stands by a row of tall poplars. The sunlight on Sunday evening was perfect, lighting up the clouds above the fields and woods as the sun started to sink down over the western horizon. There was an immense sense of calm, the still scene only interrupted by the odd crow flying home to roost. By contrast, the following morning was very bright and breezy with a classic blue sky and cumulus clouds just starting to tower over the Northamptonshire countryside. This is a lane that runs westwards from the hamlet of Wigsthorpe to the A605 Northampton to Peterborough road just to the south east of Oundle.

5 comments:

Wartime Housewife said...

Stunning pics old boy

The Vintage Knitter said...

The lane with the woodland in the distance reminds me of a similar landscape in Hampen, Gloucestershire, where the road was patched, uneven and rough and the exhaust system on my Reliant Scimitar slung so low that I winced with every bump and scrape to the pipes.

Philip Wilkinson said...

Top photographs. I love the contrasting light of evening and morning. And that cloudscape - terrific.

VK: Yes, the roads round there are terrible - but the scenery is beautiful.

Diplomate said...

very good carry on - feel a bit cheated that these weren't WTT? as I'm sure I'd've got them within sconds - maybe not.

Jon Dudley said...

Stopping the bike, leaning on the handlebars and lighting a Gold Flake with views like this before me...heaven.