Monday 22 February 2010

More Room At The Inn

As an addendum to the last post, I give you The Wheel & Compass public house at Weston by Welland. Not just because they serve an excellent pint of Banks or Pedigree but because of its connection to the railway nearby. As you can see, it has a slightly odd upper storey that is obviously an addition. Originally this was a two storey ironstone pub with a thatched roof. But the arrival of surveyors in the adjoining fields in the mid-nineteenth century meant that life was to be as upturned as the Welland Valley pastures that surround it. An extra storey was added to the pub as a long dormitory for navvies working on the line. One can only imagine the scenes here on a Friday night. The drunkenness, the brawling, the lusting after women. Actually....

9 comments:

office pest said...

And a murther as well. Over cards. Leaving a ghost - it's perfect.

Super food too.

Peter Ashley said...

Thanks Office P., I didn't know about that. Mind you, some nights it looks haunted.

Anonymous said...

Obviously short of stature navvies.

Stephen Barker said...

Actually the firm building the LNWR & GN Joint Railway that ran up east Leicestershire to Melton Mowbray, hired Special Constables in the surrounding villages to maintain law & order. I am across a report in the local paper for the arrest of a prostitute in nearby Medbourne. Not something you would associate with the village today with its pub in the Michelin Guide for its food. There numerous appearances before the local magistrates for theft and poaching by navvies.

There is another gate house by the Ballest hole on the Welham to Great Bowden lane.

When the line was finished an auction of unwanted equipment including steam engines was held at Medbourne.

Philip Wilkinson said...

Well, the fleshpots of Medbourne. Who'd have thought it?

Interesting picture. I love that toffee-coloured ironstone. Note the extended chimney and the little plaque between two first-floor windows: is it one of those fire-insurance thingies? So much to look out for when one is going for a pint...

Peter Ashley said...

My trouble is that as I'm always in such a hurry for that first pint I've never noticed that plaque thingy. I'll shine a torch on it tonight.

Ron Combo said...

Is that Romano Prodi leaving the pub?

Diplomate said...

Streuth Ron - I wasn't going to say anything 'cos I thought it was you.

Peter Ashley said...

I've no idea who it is lads, but he gave me a funny look. Probably because I was playing the Ramones (Sheena Is A Punk Rocker) at full bore in the car.