Monday 22 December 2008

Adrift in the Coffee Shop

This book was a favourite of myself and my two brothers. We continually passed it around like a naughty magazine, serial reading of what was our first science fiction book. I'm not really a fan of this genre, unless it happens to be the earth-bound stories of Ray Bradbury- lightning conductor salesmen running ahead of thunder storms, that sort of thing. But this tale of three friends on a motorbiking holiday (two bikes are named- a Brough and a BSA) was utterly absorbing. The anonymous bike breaks down, and thinking that a roadside shed may provide repair tools they instead discover an aluminium spaceship. Of course they get in it, mess about with the controls and the whole thing unexpectedly roars off into space. It was written by Prof.A.M.Low, who served in the First World War in the Royal Flying Corps Experimental Works, and at the time of writing the book was President of the Interplanetary Society. Why have I been reminded of this? Well, yesterday we were in the much less arcane local Milanese-style coffee shop, and the boys had milk shakes. The impossibly pink liquid came in curious clear plastic containers that are designed to retain the contents when they take-off across the room. "What could we make of these?". Hmmm, I thought.

5 comments:

Jon Dudley said...

How did this pass me by? No self respecting unmitigated boy could refuse a dust jacket like that. I want a copy immediately and will hi me to Abebooks forthwith.

I was totally hooked on John Pudney's books for boys in his 'adventure' series, Sunday adventure, Monday, etc...not the most imaginative of titles but you did at least know how many to look out for.

Philip Wilkinson said...

Yep, Jon, it was John Pudney for me too. I'll be right behind you in the Abe queue.

Who did the jacket, Peter? His name disappears around the fold in the picture. (And have you checked your junk mail folder recently?)

Sue Imgrund said...

Was that John Pudney as in "For Johnny"? Do not despair for Johnny head-in-air...as used in that wonderful film with John Mills and Michael Redgrave "The Way to the Stars"?

Philip Wilkinson said...

Sue: Yes, he wrote quite a bit of poetry, as well as the adventure stories for the young.

Thud said...

Doc E.E.Smith for me!